Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Due Date Debate

On Monday, I had another monthly check-up with my doctor. By my calendar due date, I was supposed to be measuring about 32 weeks. When the doctor measured my belly, I was only measuring about 28 weeks. In my previous sonogram at 20 weeks, I was measuring about a week behind the calendar calculation of my due date. (Pretty sure this is due to the fact that my cycle is longer than the standard 28 days.) But the measurement this Monday was showing me 4 weeks behind - much further than 1 week. So the doctor wanted to do an ultrasound to ensure our baby girl was growing okay. Naturally, Scott & I were a bit panicked, nervous, worried, etc. We didn't want anything to be wrong with our baby girl's development. This afternoon Scott & I went in for the ultrasound. Everything looks completely normal and healthy, praise the Lord! Her measurements came out to be about 31 1/2 weeks, so I am still measuring about a week behind the calendar calculation of my due date (August 22). The technician told us the low measurement on Monday was likely due to a combination of me really being a week behind and that baby girl was lying side-ways in my belly instead of head down. We were both relieved, to say the least! My mom told me this was a good introduction to parenthood because sometimes the only thing you can do for your child is to pray for her. I pray for our baby girl everyday, but this experience was a true reminder that she is God's child and He is taking care of her!
I start seeing my doctor every two weeks now, so I'm wondering if she will change my official due date. In my mind, it's always been the end of August versus August 22. So if all goes on schedule, looks like baby girl will be making her debut at the tail end of August or around Labor Day weekend - how appropriate!

6 comments:

Chris Branstetter said...

This is the only time you will see me post on a blog with a pink background. I'm glad to hear you and baby girl Williams are doing well. Scares like that are never easy to deal with. Great advice from your Mom though, cant agree more!

Jenny Cowart said...

Oh my goodness. You had me almost in tears as I was reading that. I am so thankful everything is ok with Baby Girl. I love her already and can't wait to meet her! We are hoping to come up Labor Day weekend and see our niece!

Love,
Jenny

Molly said...

So glad to hear all is fine. You are right though, in parenting you realize so quickly what little control you have and you just have to trust the Lord in so many ways with them.

Aren't due dates funny? We really want to have one day in particular that we are shooting for. When in reality no one actually ever has their babies on that day. Well, I guess I shouldn't say never!

Becky said...

ok so I'm in tears...I am so thrilled all in well and can so relate to the anxiety and fear that goes into that whole experience. I am sorry you had to go through it but happy the Lord is in complete control! Love you girl and praying right along side you! Tell sweet girl to turn her self around and stop jacking around:) HA! ~she's gonna be a firecracker I just know it;)

Kristin Jenison said...

You are doing great and glad to hear little miss is as well. And yes, very fitting that she would arrive on or near a holiday so everyone would be off to see her big debut ;)! We love you guys!

Andrew and Shawna Wishy said...

Ok, so I am right there with Becky and I was in tears, you know just tearing up that there could be a possiblity and your mom has so much wisdom in the regards of what you and me later on will be doing but just praying for our little one. :) So glad that things are going well. Miss you guys!