Thursday, June 18, 2009

Single Digits!

Do you remember what a big deal it was to turn 10 and be in the 'double digits'? I'm having a similar feeling this week. I am now into the single digits for the number of weeks remaining in my pregnancy - 9 weeks and 2 days! Instead of telling people how far along I am, I normally tell them how many weeks I have left to go. Pretty exciting.

Also, I haven't filled everyone in on the exciting day Scott and I had Saturday, June 6. We 'got' to attend an all day child birthing class! (Scott was especially excited - ha!) We debated about whether to take the class, but thought we should start our parenting responsibility out on the right foot and take the class. Most of the information covered was a review for me, but it was nice to get the facts about pain management during labor. I am fully embracing modern medicine and will be getting an epidural ASAP. :) Also enlightening was the postpartum information. No one likes to talk about the Depends-like diapers, ice packs, etc. that you need for a while after pregnancy. Good times! I think Scott's main takeaway from the day was that labor is usually more than a 2 - 3 hour process. Like most guys, Scott had only seen a 'Hollywood' labor on TV. He assumed when labor started, you immediately went to the hospital and that baby would be born a couple hours later. Seems funny to those of us who know labor can be a much longer experience from start to finish. However if you think about it, TV/movies usually only show the last stage of labor. Scott was quite a trooper and hung in there the entire day. In the last couple hours of the class, nearly all the guys in the room where staring off into space or fully engrossed in their blackberries. ADD had set-in, for sure.

6 comments:

Nana Jones said...

Krista, when you were young you looked so forward to being 10 years old. You just kept saying how cool that was going to be. I finally asked why you thought that and you responded that being "in the double digits" would make you feel grown up! This post so reminds me of that special memory of your childhood. Bring on BABY GIRL:)

Molly said...

I love it! The funnier part is how much we read about pregnancy and childbirth and then we're like, "What the crap do we do now?" when they get here! It's funny to watch a mom do that, but not funny to be stuck there. Let me know if you need some good baby books. I know you've probably read more than me, but still.

Love you...MUST HAVE NEW BELLY PICS!

Courtney Connelly said...

Yipee for the single digists!!! So exciting and I can't wait to see pictures of sweet baby girl Williams! You two are going to be such wonderful parents.

Daysha said...

YEA!! So exciting. You're close. And amen sister about the ole epidural. Once we knew we were pregnant I wanted to bring it home with me so that I would have it at first sign of pain!! I'm not about the pain!! You're so close!!

Becky said...

Hey did Scott giggle every time the teacher said nipples or vagina? Yeah--that's what my husband did and then we had to watch a delivery on video and he kept laughing through that too--he kept asking me, "couldn't they have at least gotten a hot girl??" Nice! (I realize you guys are much more mature than we were at the ripe ole age of 23 when we had our first;) I can't wait to see you at the end of July!!!!!! yay! Congrats on the double digits by the way!:)

Krista said...

Scott was not a fan of watching the birthing video, but he managed to get through it without too many snide comments. :) In his defense, I can't say I really wanted to watch the video, either. I'm one of those people where sometime less information is better. At least the c-section video was just a computerized illustration!