Sunday, February 28, 2010

Take 2: Did that really just happen?

Oh yes, you read that correctly. We had more sickness and fun this weekend! On Friday night, Scott put Sienna to bed while I went out for coffee with my girlfriends. She had another vomiting session before bed. Scott made her another bottle, which she drank, and then she fell asleep like normal. Then around 10:30 PM when I got home, she woke up crying. About that time, Scott told me he wasn't feeling well and asked if I could tend to her because he needed to be close to the bathroom. As I was in Sienna's room trying to comfort her, I hear Scott puking in the bathroom. Yes, friends, he somehow contracted the flu virus we all had last weekend. Even after washing all the clothes/towels/sheets/etc., deodorizing the furniture, and having our home professionally cleaned.... he still got the bug. So Scott was up pretty much the whole night. Even worse, I couldn't be there to comfort him because Sienna hardly slept from about 10:30PM - 5 AM. Nothing worked... holding her, feeding her, Tylenol, putting her in bed with me, etc. I took her temperature around 2 AM, and it was 99 degrees. (It's been around 99 degrees for a few weeks because of her cold.) When she 'woke up' at 7 AM, I took it again. It was 101 degrees. I thought it might have been high because she was in bed with me under a bunch of covers. I took her temp about an hour later, and it had come down a half degree. When she woke up crying from her morning nap, her temperature was back up to 101 degrees, and we headed to urgent care at Children's Mercy South. We were there 3 hours, which I've been told is actually not a long time. Luckily, Sienna was a trooper there. She didn't cry while we were waiting, and she was all smiles for the nurses and doctors. That is, until they had to clean out her ears with a water pik. Poor thing!! She screamed bloody murder, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same! So after they cleaned all the wax out of her ears, the doctor could see she had a double ear infection. He said he was surprised, since she seemed to be in a good mood and was eating well. Sienna must have quite the pain tolerance.
So we made our way to the pharmacy to pick up her meds. (The bubble gum amoxicillin brought back good childhood memories for Scott and I! I remember begging my mom to let me have that stuff.... even when I wasn't sick! I loved the taste.) She slept very soundly last night, and is taking one heck of a long nap this morning. I know she's got to be wiped.
Scott left this morning for DC, so I'm hoping our sickness escapades are done for a while, so I can get some rest and peace of mind. So scary and sad when your little one doesn't feel well! Although I must say that we enjoyed how snuggly she was yesterday. Sienna is not the type to let you hold her very long, so having her sink into our arms and rest all day yesterday was awesome. Here's to a healthy baby!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh crap. Hee hee. Like that? So sorry you all were sick again. That seriously sounds like what we all got in Dec. It spread so quickly and so fiercly even when we weren't even touching. It was crazy fast and awful!!!

Hope you all stay well. You are right, it's no fun when your kids get sick esp when you have to be at work!!!

Unknown said...

Have you all recovered yet? What a crazy couple of weeks!

Can't wait to see ya'll in a little over a month!